Friday, September 26, 2008

Purdue Killed Jesus

Yes, you read the title of this post correctly, "Purdue Killed Jesus"
From time to time on this blog I like to tell readers of the exploits/hinjinx of my youth. I used to be a pretty cool kid with a lot of potential. Then I started drinking, and pretty much all potentional was lost. This story comes in my early years of drinking, so I was not yet completely gone yet.

We're going back to my sophomore year of college here. I was very excited to read that College Gameday was coming to Madison for the Wisconsin/Purdue football game. For those of you that are unfamiliar, College Gameday is the college football Saturday morning preview show which is filmed on location each week at a different school. And ESPN loves Madison. People often times make goofy signs and try to get on TV. I wanted to be this is well.
So, after a Friday night of moderate drinking, I went home to make my sign. I even left a party early to do so. I did not let the lack of materials dissuade me from making this sign. I believe I used the bottom of a DVD box and a Sharpie. My roommate came home mid-creation and laughed a lot. I believe he said it was the hardest he's seen me work all year. (Probably true.)
But I made my sign. I was pretty ghetto, but PURDUE KILLED JESUS


So on Saturday morning I woke up early and walked down to the practice field. I got in. Everybody loved my sign. I got closer and closer to the stage. I felt it was my time to make it big, let the world know that it was actually Purdue who killed Jesus. But then, a security guard comes and rips my sign away. Really. Damn censorship. ESPN is weak, can't handle the truth.

A few side notes: The Badgers lost the game on a last second field goal.
The sign was never recovered.
And I must confess I actually didn't come up with the idea on my own. For some reason a group of us while in high school went to a Milwaukee Rampage game and rooted for the other team. Possibly because they got rid of the "Keebler Corner Kick" Anyways, the man I quoted in a previous post came up with the the chant, and there were about 30 of us chanting, "Rampage Killed Jesus". Good times.

No comments: