Tuesday, May 11, 2010

MY USA SQUAD

OK, last week I submitted my England World Cup Squad and it looks like a few of my picks are already missing from the 30 man roster, but I'm sticking with what I picked. I also admitted that due to my extreme devotion to the English Premier League, I know many more English players than Americans. I was ready to put players like Bobby Convey and Eddie Lewis on the list, but then I saw that they barely play in the MLS anymore. Anyway, the initial 30 man squad, which will be cut down to 23 by June 1, was released today and my 23 squad may have a few outliers from that list. Eh, here is my USA World Cup Squad.

Gk: Tim Howard, Marcus Hahnaman, Brad Guzan

Defenders: John Spector, Carlos Bocanegra, Jay Demerit, Steve Cherundolo, Oguchi Onyewu, Frankie Hejduk, Chad Marshall

Midfielders: Maurice Edu, Ricardo Clark, Michael Bradley, Benny Feilhaber, Clint Dempsey, Stuart Holden, Robbie Rogers, Jose Torres

Strikers: Eddie Johnson, Edson Buddle, Brian Ching, Jozy Altidore, Conner Casey


Starting XI: Well, it is now certain that Charlie Daveis will not play in South Africa, and I think the lack of true pace up front dictates that the US does not play a true 4-4-2, and even if they say they will, they really won't. I'll go with the 4-5-1, which works well with the strong midfield of the US.

.............................Howard..........................
Cherundolo..Onyewu Demerit...Bocanegra
.....................Clarke.....Edu.........................
...Donovan..........Bradley............Dempsey...
...........................Altidore............................


This could be seen as a 4-3-3, but I think Donovan and Dempsey work best on the wings. That being said, with the strong, defensive central midfield, Dempsey and Donovan have freedom to get forward, freedom to constantly interchange, and freedom to support Jozy. I think Dempsey's current form and goal scoring prowess with Fulham justifies this formation. He is too good to just be an outside midfielder. Play to your strengths.
It's a pretty veteran line-up too. Lots of experience here.


Notes: I wish Davies was available. Maybe Eddie Johnson can provide that necessary pace up top, but he has never really lived up to expectations.
I like Connor Casey and Brian Ching. I think the provide size and strength that lots of teams would struggle with. Holden, Rogers, and Torres can all bring something off the bench. In a pure 4-4-2, Holden will probably be the one to start, maybe in the place of Edu.
Howard is solid between the posts, but I don't know if our central defenders are going to be good enough, especially with the injuries they have had.
Lots of questions. Look for Donovan and Dempsey to lead the way for the Red, White, and Blue, and if they don't, we are in trouble. Unlike England, who's 23rd player could make the difference, the USA will really only rely on 16 to 17 guys.
America!

No comments: