Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

I believe I have twice on this blog professed my love for Rowlf the Dog and John Denver's rendition of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" so I guess this is the third time.

The song got me thinking back to one of my favorite Christmas TV episodes - the X-Files Season Six "How the Ghosts Stole Christmas. Incidentally, I believe this is the first time I've mentioned the X-Files on this blog.
The episode is classic X-Files, a bit lighter than most, especially for this late in the series. It is a great case study of Mulder and Scully (Skulder?). The ghosts are played by Ed Asner (he loves Christmas) and Lily Tomlin. The part I remember most is the super eerie scene when Mulder and Scully shoot each other and are pretty much dying of gunshot wounds with Bing Crosby's classic version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" playing in the background.
A very well done episode, full of loads dramatic irony, a great ending.
Nothing says Christmas like The X-Files.
If you got time check out the entire episode, I don't think that website will crash your computer, or watch the youtube summary, with the scene I mentioned at the 8 minute mark.

Merry Christmas from Big Dunc, Mulder, and Scully

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those who bound to to the standard faiths claim that the say-so of their certainty rests on uncovering, and that publication is given in the pages of books and accounts of miracles and wonders whose disposition is supernatural. But those of us who force protracted discarded the credence in the miraculous still are in the attendance of revelations which are the cellar of faith. We too arrange our revealed religion. We procure looked upon the face of men and women that can be to us the symbols of that which is holy. We enjoy heard words of religious shrewdness and reality viva voce in the gentle voice. Excuse of the milieu there experience meet up to us these participation which, when accepted, give to us revelations, not of abnormal creed, but of a real and sure credence in the incorporeal powers that motivate and dwell in the center of [a person's] being.